Friday, February 19, 2016

Lenten Blog – Day 8 – Denial – Not Just a River in Egypt

I don’t do denial well.  I like things.  Stupid things like DVD movies and not just really good classic films but really REALLY bad movies.  I rationalize that I learn more about film making from watching “The Room” or “Manos Hands of Fate” than I do watching “The Avengers” or “Gone with the Wind.”  Watching films with enormous budgets is like watching David Copperfield perform illusions.  They’re so spectacular that you’re just blown away.  Watching films not made well on very little budgets is like watching a magician just starting out.  You see the strings, you see the sleight-of-hand, you can easily figure out how the trick is done – and in the same breath – say “I can do it better.”

When I started my work-out routine I immediately gave myself an “off” day.  A day that if I wanted to hit the buffet or go out to lunch with friends or just gorge on a big plate full of calories, I could do so.  Even now as I continue to work out, I don’t do so much so I can lose weight or stay in shape – it’s so I won’t feel guilty eating handfuls of M&Ms or 7-11 Hot Dogs (slathered in “chili” and “cheese”).

As Lent approaches I go through the:  “Should I not eat chocolate?”  “Should I fast?”  “Should I deny myself things that I like?”  And to what end?  Do I take the 15 seconds from eating a handful of peanut M&M’s and use that 15 seconds to pray?

When our church used to share our space with a Greek Orthodox mission we learned that the Greek fast on Sunday mornings.  They want their first food to be the body and blood of Christ.  Recently I’ve picked this up.  Not so much that I’m trying to fast but eating breakfast on the weekends is out of my routine.  Monday thru Friday I’m sucking down a bowl of Honey Nut Cheerios at 5:50 a.m.  Saturday and Sunday?  I’m out of that routine.  Still – if you want to call it a fast – have at it.  I don’t call it that because I’m not reflective in that.  Maybe I should be.  Maybe I should take the 10 minutes of food stuffage and be more cognizant of those in the world who are starving but then translate that into…?  To me, if you’re going to deny yourself something that you feel is possibly destructive or not that good for you (Dark Chocolate and Red Wine are healthy for you – by the way) then what are you taking on?  What is filling that gap?  What is bringing you closer to God or closer to a healthier and happier you?

Knowing that I don’t do denial well, in the past few Lents I’ve chosen to take on things.  One year I attempted to do nice things for my co-workers without them knowing.  One year I messaged three friends on Facebook per day telling them how awesome they are.  One year I posted random inspirational memes.  Look, I didn’t say they were the BEST ideas but it was important to me that whatever I did took actual thinking and time (things I don’t often do well).  I’ve even tried to the read the bible daily – imagine that!

Lastly, if I choose to deny myself something, I keep it to myself.  There’s an old joke:  “How do you know the person is a Vegan?  Don’t worry, they’ll tell you.”  If I choose to deny it should be a personal thing between me and God.  Not a “woe is me, I can’t drink beer!” moment to share on Social Media.


However you choose to approach Lent, go for it (unless you’ve chosen to NOT go for it, then don’t).

No comments:

Post a Comment