Thursday, February 25, 2016

Lenten Blog – Day 13 – Baptismal Covenant, Part 1

I was not baptized in the Episcopal Church.  When I was probably 7 or 8 I was baptized by my Uncle Pete who was a pastor in a church in Indiana.  This was a “dunking” baptism.  I don’t recall there being any Godfathers (or Godmothers).  I don’t recall reciting anything other than agreeing to do it.  I don’t even think it was part of a church service but more a:  “Hey, let’s baptize Matt today!”

What I truly remember about my baptism?  My mom bought me the soundtrack to “Godspell” as a gift.  At Northgate Mall.

During Lent it is common for people, at Easter, to get baptized.  The process of Lent has been used for centuries to prepare people for baptism or to bring people back into the church who may have strayed from the path and did something wrong.  The forty days became either a learning period up to the Baptismal Ceremony or it was a “come to Jesus” period (literally) to make one right with the Lord and reunited on Easter day.

In the Episcopal Church, the Baptismal Covenant is pretty darn important and, even if we don’t have an infant, child, adult to baptize, you can be darn sure clear that a few Sundays out of the year, we’ll be reciting the baptismal covenant.  Kind of a “refocus” on the basics.  Every Sunday we recite the Nicene Creed which is kinda like the Baptismal Covenant but sometimes you need to the read and response to maybe align the ol’ synapses in your brain.  (Or maybe you don’t, I don’t know how your brain works).

Figuring I have 40 of these things to write, I decided to tackle the Baptismal Covenant and figure that should take up a handful of blogs and it’s something that I, too, need to be reacquainted with on occasion.

Let’s start with just the basics.

In our church we have a baptismal font in the back (basically a large brass tub) – and when the ceremony is about to start – the candidate(s) and their sponsors are asked to move to the back.

They surround the font and the priest pours in water (typically warmed up especially if you’re dealing with an infant) and blesses the water with a prayer.

What is a sponsor?  Well, the sponsor is someone who may have brought the child or friend to church.  Someone who supports them in their spiritual journey and can vouch for them.  Now this isn’t something that just happens that morning.  Typically there are a few classes or sessions where things are discussed as to what’s going to happen and what is expected of the sponsor.

Sponsors are typically for adults or teenagers while Godparents are for the “wee little ones.”

Adults and Older Children

The candidates who are able to answer for themselves are presented
individually by their Sponsors, as follows
Sponsor
I present N. to receive the Sacrament of Baptism.

The Celebrant asks each candidate when presented
Do you desire to be baptized?
Candidate
I do.

Infants and Younger Children

Then the candidates who are unable to answer for themselves are presented
individually by their Parents and Godparents, as follows

Parents and Godparents
I present N. to receive the Sacrament of Baptism.

When all have been presented the Celebrant asks the parents and
godparents
Will you be responsible for seeing that the child you present
is brought up in the Christian faith and life?

Parents and Godparents
I will, with God's help.

Celebrant
Will you by your prayers and witness help this child to grow
into the full stature of Christ?

Parents and Godparents
I will, with God's help.

Let’s just stop here for a moment.  There’s a bunch to think about in just these few words.  “…brought up in Christian Faith and Life?”  Are we talking “Jerry Falwell Christian Faith and Life?  Billy Graham?  Ted Cruz?”  Or…

“…child grow into the full stature of Christ?”  Help the child grow into a Christ like person?  A Christ who advocated for the poor and the hurting and the sick and the needy and showed love and challenged authority and, ultimately, was crucified, died, buried and risen again?

Wow.  Now you know why babies often get pretty dresses to wear on the day of their baptism.

But twice the parents and Godparents say:  “I will with God’s help.”

When you look at the Episcopal wedding service the bride and groom do not say:  “I do.”  But they say:  “I will.”  To do is to accomplish and be done.  Done is done and did.  To will is to progress, it is not accomplished, it is not done.  It is a promise to move forward. I will try.  I will succeed.  I will stumble.  I will fall.  I will struggle.  I will get back up.

“…with God’s help.”

Acknowledging that we’re not in this alone.  Whatever your image of God is (see previous blogs if you want my muddled thoughts), there is help.  There is a basic understanding that this journey you are setting on to help a child to be “brought up in Christian Faith and Life and grow into the full stature of Christ” is not a solitary journey of deep responsibility but a journey of faith through assistance and help.


But that doesn’t mean stumbles don’t happen, certainly.  More on this tomorrow…

No comments:

Post a Comment