Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Lenten Blog - Day 6 - Images of God


In the silent film of “Ben Hur” the film makers didn’t know how to portray Christ.  So when Christ would show up they didn’t show his body.  What you got was an arm of “someone” preaching the Sermon on the Mount.  How you knew it was Christ was because his arm would glow white.

Later in the film, as Ben Hur witnesses Christ’s walk to Calvary, he gets close to Christ and you know this due to the fact that Ben is awash in glowing white light.  It more so appears that some crew member is bouncing the sunlight off a mirror and shining it on the actor’s face.  Still, this is the light of Christ and I’m fine with that, but couldn’t get over the fact that this is how the film makers chose to portray Christ.  I just image this glowing ghost like person walking around Jerusalem.  Maybe coming into a house at night and someone saying:  “Jesus, dude, can you tone down the brightness a bit, we’re trying to sleep.”

But this just proves that FOREVER we’ve struggled with the image of God.  Is he the “old guy in the clouds” as portrayed in Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel painting or is he something more abstract?

When I was attending Confirmation class the priest asked us to come up with our images of God.  If I remember right, I created a cloud and in the center of the cloud was the word God and coming out from that were words like love and peace and kindness or something.  I can’t remember what other people’s images were as I was a self absorbed teenager (not that I’m not self absorbed 51 year old).  As we all described our images of God, the Priest, if I remember right said:  “You’re all correct.”  So is it simply that our God is just an offshoot of what we’ve grown to learn through years and years of up- bringing and experience?

So maybe my mother’s image of God as a Powerful all helpful being can still spare a few minutes to find us a parking space.

But then what happens when my image of God clashes with those who have no image, or image is one of anger, frustration and retribution?  More of an “Old Testament” God?

If the differing images of a handful of teenagers going through puberty and adolescence can be deemed as “correct” by the priest could not the images of a fire-and-brimstone-all-gays-should-be-put-to-death-and-women-should-know-their-place God of a fundamentalist preacher also be correct?

And what of the glowing Jesus?  We know through history that Jesus was a Jew from the Middle East which means he was dark skinned with black hair.  Not the Max Von Sydow, Willem Defoe, lilly-white baby Jesus we see so much portrayed in Christmas cards and Renaissance paintings and sculptures.

For me, I attempt to look at all the books of the bible in the context of what was going on at the time and who they were being written for.  But then my image of God is shaped by the works and teachings of Jesus and his focus and passion and ultimate sacrifice.

I hazard to guess my image of God hasn’t changed all that much since I was 14 or 15 years of age.  I still believe that God is “other” and focused on love and peace and reconciliation and forgiveness.  For some reason that “fits” with me.  For some of  you reading this, it might be that you think I’m “confused.”  Or that my image is faulty or incorrect or silly. 

***shrug***


I’m okay with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment