Thursday, February 18, 2016

Lenten Blog - Day 7 – “Our Father who art in…”


Words have meaning.  Or why would I be writing this?  It might as well be a streaming line of gibberosicity and if you can wrap your brain around that word, even made up words have meaning.  But when I say the words “Father” or “Mother” those words not only have meaning, they also have weight to them.  It’s one thing to look up the clinical definition of the word “father” or “mother” but it’s quite another to actual BE them.

As you’ve already known through the first few Lenten blogs I’ve been focusing on God and Relationships and my constant struggle between the anthropomorphic (God with white beard in the clouds pulling switches and pushing buttons) and a more abstract almost unimaginable “other” that exists and that we all live into and around.  Kind of like George Lucas’s “The Force” (except when he decided to screw it all up by bringing in something called the “midiclorians” or some such crap like that in Episode One).

Now most people reading this can probably parse the two out no problem.  My mother to whom God helps find parking spots and still has time to watch over the world.  And some discard any concept of God, or existence thereof.  I can’t NOT think that there’s something beyond all this.  That there’s more to life and existence that skirts the unknown and skips down byways of rainbows and lollipops and puppies run free on pristine fields of grass.  And then trying to live into that.

Still, I struggle and part of that struggle is just the words we use in our church (and many churches out there).  Even atheists who probably have barely stepped foot inside a church know the “Lord’s Prayer.”  And many could probably recite it.  But even the Lord’s Prayer I find problematic in simply the first two words:  “Our Father…”

Because the word “Father” has so much weight to it.

Other than the first 9 months of my life, I’ve spent probably two entire months with my father (died in 2007).  Though I loved my father, we were estranged near the final couple years of his life.  He wanted me to leave the Episcopal Church due to their stance on gays and I told him no.  Things went downhill from there.  My mother left my father when I was an infant due to him having an affair and being verbally and mentally abusive.  Later in his life he had obviously become a hoarder and probably wasn’t altogether “there” any more.

My step-father and I got along okay, until he kicked me out of the house when I was 18.  Once I moved out and got married our relationship became more stabilized until a massive heart attack took him away in early 1988.

When it has come to “fathers” – for me – it has been a bit of a crap shoot.

Now, sure, we can take the word “Father” from the Lord’s Prayer and reinterpret the wording and go back to the ancient text and maybe in Greek it’s “Abba” which means something entirely different than the guy who, hopefully, tossed a ball with you and showed you how to use a power drill…but the word is there and, like I said, that word carries weight.

And as much as I struggle with it, I wonder how people who have been abused by their father deal with it.  Or were abandoned by their father.  Or watched their father do terrible things to their mother.

Seeing how I was brought up.  And understanding the relationship dynamic (as best I can) of Father to Child – I try my best to be the best father I can be.  To live into (and up to) a concept where the word “father” isn’t weighted down with absenteeism or abuse or confusion or nothing much at all.

There isn’t a lot in this life I take seriously, but being a father is one of those things for I want my children and my children’s friends to say to themselves:  Matt’s an okay father.

I can live with that and hopefully into that.


No comments:

Post a Comment