Monday, March 7, 2016

Lenten Blog – Day 22 – Fourth Sunday in Lent


Luke 15:1-3,11-32

Now all the tax-collectors and sinners were coming near to listen to him. And the Pharisees and the scribes were grumbling and saying, ‘This fellow welcomes sinners and eats with them.’
 So he told them this parable:

 Then Jesus said, ‘There was a man who had two sons. The younger of them said to his father, “Father, give me the share of the property that will belong to me.” So he divided his property between them. A few days later the younger son gathered all he had and travelled to a distant country, and there he squandered his property in dissolute living. When he had spent everything, a severe famine took place throughout that country, and he began to be in need. So he went and hired himself out to one of the citizens of that country, who sent him to his fields to feed the pigs. He would gladly have filled himself with the pods that the pigs were eating; and no one gave him anything. But when he came to himself he said, “How many of my father’s hired hands have bread enough and to spare, but here I am dying of hunger! I will get up and go to my father, and I will say to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you; I am no longer worthy to be called your son; treat me like one of your hired hands.’ ” So he set off and went to his father. But while he was still far off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion; he ran and put his arms around him and kissed him. Then the son said to him, “Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you; I am no longer worthy to be called your son.” But the father said to his slaves, “Quickly, bring out a robe—the best one—and put it on him; put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. And get the fatted calf and kill it, and let us eat and celebrate; for this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found!” And they began to celebrate.

 ‘Now his elder son was in the field; and when he came and approached the house, he heard music and dancing. He called one of the slaves and asked what was going on. He replied, “Your brother has come, and your father has killed the fatted calf, because he has got him back safe and sound.” Then he became angry and refused to go in. His father came out and began to plead with him. But he answered his father, “Listen! For all these years I have been working like a slave for you, and I have never disobeyed your command; yet you have never given me even a young goat so that I might celebrate with my friends. But when this son of yours came back, who has devoured your property with prostitutes, you killed the fatted calf for him!” Then the father said to him, “Son, you are always with me, and all that is mine is yours. But we had to celebrate and rejoice, because this brother of yours was dead and has come to life; he was lost and has been found.” ’

A quick break from the Baptismal Covenant to pop in a sermon on the Gospel from the Fourth Sunday in Lent.  We’ll return you to the last two (or three) segments of the Baptismal Covenant soon.

When I was on the committee to interview prospective priests to join our church, one of our standard questions was:  “Is there a particular parable that you’re influence by, or is a favorite?”  I think, out of all the priests, only one didn’t say the parable of the Prodigal Son.

This gospel reminds me of two things.  Thing one is a scene from the film “Godspell” where they discuss the prodigal son.  Thing two is my relationship with my own father(s).

The importance of this parable cannot be understated in what it teaches us about God’s love and acceptance and forgiveness.  How after all we’ve done, after how we’ve squandered our life, there is someone waiting for us.

In the film “Bedazzled” (the original, not the remake - yuck), Peter Cook plays the Devil and Dudley Moore plays a young man who’s soul the Devil wants to take (seems Dudley’s soul gives the Devil a certain amount and then he can go back to Heaven).  As they interact over the time span of a couple days the Devil at one point laments to Dudley how much he can’t stand last minute converts.  “I spend all my time making them slothful, lustful, prideful, angry and then, just before they die, they repent and boom!  God gets another one!”

Certainly I hope I don’t wait until the bell is about to toll to recognize my own failings and seek out the comfort of a loving, caring God.

As for the father part, I’m reminded of something that happened when I was a teenager.

My step-father and I didn’t get along great.  As Step-Father relationships go it was kind of your standard push-pull.  I wasn’t the worst teenager to walk the earth but I, certainly, wasn’t the best.  And he spoiled his daughter (my step-sister) something awful while we were tossed scraps (at least that’s how I remember it - it probably wasn’t that bad).

One night, my mom was off to church (like most nights) or had something to go to that was going to run very late into the evening.  I wanted to go to a movie and I had gotten a bus to the Crest theatre that is, probably, three or four miles from our house.

After the movie I wandered to the bus stop only to find that the next bus was going to be quite a while.  I found a pay phone (this was WAY before cell phones) and called Leland up and asked if he could pick me up.

Using this as an opportunity to teach me a lesson he said:  “You got yourself there!  You can get yourself home.”

Sighing (he would have picked up his daughter...), I hunkered down in my coat and started the long walk home.  It wasn’t five minutes before the sky opened up and the rain started pour down.

As I slogged home, I thought of calling him again.  Certainly the situation had changed and now the weather had turned and it was pretty disgusting out and I was getting soaked to the bone with every step.  But, he told me to walk home and, by God, that was what I was going to do.

When I finally made it home I found Leland pacing in the kitchen, worried about me.  He wouldn’t say he was worried about me and I don’t think he said anything about giving him a call when it started raining.  I’m sure his response to me was something akin to:  “Oh, you’re home.”  But I knew he worried about me and I smiled a bit knowing that.

He didn’t show love or affection much to me, but I knew, deep down he cared.

Those times where I feel like I’m a bit on the worthless side, or feel like I’ve gone a bit too far, or done a bit too much, or said the wrong thing - I know there is a “Father” I can return to that will run to me with open arms.


No comments:

Post a Comment