Thursday, August 30, 2012

I pray for dead people....



If I may, for a blog, or two, get serious...thanks...

During our church service, we have what is called the “Prayers of the People.”

These are intercessory prayers where we pray to God for people who are sick, for our family, for our leaders, for the homeless and hurting, for parishioners, for thanks for birthdays and for those who have died.

Each prayer has a beginning, a pause (so you can fill-in-the-blank), and then a response.

It is during the prayer for the dead, that I toss out some names in my head, and then say my response.  For a moment, in a blog, in 2012 – I want to acknowledge those who have died.  As someone once said:  “As long as someone is remembered, they never really die.”

So in the silence of the service, these are the names and mini-stories behind them.

“Steven.”  As weird as this sounds, I’ve never met Steven.  When I was a teenager, I had made  friends with a couple of other teenagers at my church.  Kathy, Daphne and Joe.  Daphne had a brother named Steven.  Steven and Daphne were children of Bert.  Bert had married Myrna and they adopted Kathy and Joe.  Myrna and Steven (as step parents do) did not get along.  At one point – and I don’t know how much in the past it was – Steven and Myrna got into a fight and Steven went down to the basement.  Pulled out a pistol and shot himself.

The whole family was devastated.  But not so much to buy a headstone.  My stepfather is buried in the same cemetery as Steven and I can’t recall if the family ever did buy him a headstone.

“Kristin.”  Kristin was one of my many platonic friends.  And when I say many...I have/had many women friends.  My women friends out-number my male friends almost 2-to-1.  I don’t really know why...other than that I’m a good listener.

Kristin went to my church-wide youth-group – HYC.  Filled with a couple hundred kids, it was within this group that I would eventually meet Miriam.  During a six-day retreat I became friends with Kristin and we bonded over the typical things I bond with female friends about:  Their annoying boyfriends.  I listen as they bitch and complain.  I give them advice and they make their choices.  I used to talk to Kristin on the phone for hours consoling her in her boyfriend troubles.

She died at 17 years of age in a car accident.  She was the first person I ever knew (other than a grandparent) that died.



   Kristin on the left, Margaret on the right, friend Jim standing.


“Loring.”  In the early 1980’s I started working in law and on a case called the WPPSS litigation.  This was, at the time, the biggest class action suit in the country.  To handle the millions of pieces of paper – the law firm I worked for created a place called “The Database Management Center.”  This company that, at one point, worked 24-7, hired dozens and dozens of temporary workers.  It was pretty common to walk into a room and see a “Bible Thumper” working next to a hippie pot-head, working next to a middle-aged Indian man, working next to a 24 year-old sorority girl.  It was, now that I look back on in the glow of memories, a pretty amazing place.

Loring worked there as a copy-guy/coffee maker/go-fer – much like myself.  So we bonded.  He was quite a bit older than me, lived in Mountlake Terrace, married, once was on “the Gong Show” and he was involved in the B’Hai faith.  Little did I know that he had AIDS.  Within six months of being diagnosed he was dead.  It was my first time of watching someone wither away and I was confused by everything.  This was still in the early years of AIDS – 1985.  No one really knew what to do or how contagious.  All I knew when all was said and done – was that Loring was dead and he was a really cool guy.

“Susan” was another friend from church.  When I was 15 or 16 I started going to St. David’s in North Seattle.  There were my friends that included Kathy and Daphne and Joe – but then there was Susan and her friends Sandra and a couple others.  These girls were “older” and when I mean older they were FOUR YEARS older.  Oooh.

Susan, for some reason, found me a bit attractive and took me under her wing.  She wanted me to experience new and exciting things and nothing was more new and exciting than going to see “Rocky Horror Picture Show” at the Neptune Theatre at midnight.  This is the only time I can remember ever being what I would refer to as “ahead of the curve.”  In other words, “Rocky Horror” had not become this BIG POPULAR THING FOR HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS.  It was still mostly for stoned college students and it really hadn’t taken off into the mainstream – like being featured in the film “Fame” and showing up in an episode of “Glee.”  It is, honestly, the only time I was slightly hip.



Susan died due to complications of diabetes.

“Lorian” – Lorian is my latest addition.  In all the years I’ve taught my screenwriting class – I usually have a mix of people who have a certain idea of how to write or have gone to film school or actually, maybe, have a bit of experience.  Lorian was one of those people.  Not only had she lived in L.A. she had also directed a short film about Alzheimer’s and, AND, not only had she done that – but she actually had published a book of interviews with directors and writers.  This was a person going places.  This was a person on the verge of success.  This was someone I needed to get to know.

She took my class and we had many a talk and she asked me to help sell more copies of her book and, as with most of my friends (Susan included) – I slowly lost touch.

When a book on screenwriting came across my desk – the author mentioned Lorian as he had been interviewed for her book.  I thought this would be a great opportunity to track her down, send her an e-mail, find her on Facebook.  But...I couldn’t.

Finally doing a Google search of her name, I read that she had killed herself.  It was quite a blow.  Both to me and the author who mentioned her in his book.  You see, she was also a skilled photographer and he has the photo she took for her book hanging above his desk.


                                  The cover of Lorian's Book

A few months later I opened up my old briefcase that I used to take to the college for my classes and found flyers that she had created for me to hand out to students to help her sell her book.  Maybe if I sold a few more copies of her book she’d still be alive?  I don’t know and I kind of doubt it.

“Leland” – my step father.  Though he didn’t enter my life until I was 7 and exited my life in 1988 – he was a vital part of it.  Being a step-father, he and I had numerous issues about all sorts of things – it wasn’t until after I had moved out that I appreciated SOME of what he did to help me grow up.

“John” – my actual father.  Even though we had a bit of a falling out in the last couple years before he passed and the photos of his home office showed that he’d become a hoarder later in life – he was still my father and deserved prayers and respect.

“Hazel” – this is my brother’s mother-in-law.  Early on in their marriage I found Hazel to be a bit annoying – if I’m being honest.  She was loud and brash at times and someone that had a tendency to grate on me...but over time she stopped grating and started growing on me and I came to appreciate her love of NASCAR and life.

And then the catch all:  “Grandparents” – to include all the grandparents who had some influence on my life.

Life goes on and sometimes death raises its very predictable head in sometimes unpredictable ways.  Who knows if I’ll be remembered in some sleepy-haze prayer on a Sunday morning someday...I could hope.

And for all those whose names may eventually be inserted – know that I truly appreciate you and all that you’ve had an impact on me.


No comments:

Post a Comment