Thursday, May 17, 2012

Respect the Queue

RESPECT THE QUEUE



When we were recently in Anaheim ready to go to Disneyland, we caught the Anaheim Resort Transit (ART) to take us to the park.  We had to catch the ART out in front of the hotel next door to ours.  They had a nice covered area, a machine to buy tickets, benches, etc.

One of the early times we took the ART when we got to the shelter there was already a couple families waiting.  But, by waiting, I mean they were wandering hither and yon and chatting and talking like a mixer for kids hopped up on jellybeans. 

Seeing that there was no defined “queue” we took a spot near where the door would open for the bus.  Immediately I could tell that we had broken some queue etiquette as I saw a husband/father and his wife/mother whispering to each other and staring/glaring at us.  Within a couple minutes the father said:  “Uh, we were here FIRST.”  We apologized and got in the queue that was now, uh, queuing up out of the shelter.  My response should have been:  “Dude, if you’re going to create a queue, CREATE A QUEUE.  Line up, keep your kids in line, and by GOD stand where the bus is going to stop.  Not just inside the shelter.  And how do I know you’re not out here waiting for a cab or your drunken grandmother or whatever?”  But I nodded and we got in line.  At which point Miriam said:  “Geez, didn’t know there was a queue.”  Well, how would you?

At the transit station where I catch my bus every morning we have a queue.  Everyone arrives and lines up as they arrived.  There are four busses that stop at the transit center and everyone knows the rules.  When bus arrives, step out of queue line and enter the bus.  The remaining people can then move down and fill in the gaps.  If you are running late and see the bus from the walk-way, the proper procedure is to catch up to the line, but wait until the last person gets on the bus to enter – thus taking your proper space in line.  Occasionally there’s a bit of confusion as you can’t tell who has moved away from the line and who has shown up and you might end up cutting off the second-to-last person, or something.  But this is usually resolved with a quick “oops, sorry.”  And, besides, at this point the chances of getting a seat on the bus are slim – so the big difference is that you’re either standing 10 feet away from the door or eight feet away from the door.

This is how it’s done...EVERY DAY.  Going home, with the bus stops catering to well over 10-20 busses, there’s no queue and it’s every person for themselves.

This morning as I arrived to catch my bus, the 511 had just left the station.  The 413 had left approx. 5 minutes before that – so I was in the “lull” between busses.  Most likely the 415 would be coming next, followed by the next 413.  I could take any or all of these busses (lucky me) but the 413 is the fastest trip and I get to walk to work a bit, thus burning off a few calories on my way to work – but I digress.

When I arrived, since it was the lull, there were maybe 9 people in front of me.  I took my spot in the queue and waited as more people fell in line behind me.

Soon enough we had a good line when the 415 showed up and people got on and after people stepped out and stepped on, I had moved up about 5 spots to number 4 in the queue.  My bus, the 413, would be next.

As the minutes ticked away a massive amount of people showed up and started getting in the queue which was now lengthening quite a bit.  10, 15, 20+ the line started to stretch.  Then, approximately 3 minutes before the 413 was due to arrive, a young(ish) woman, professionally dressed, walked down the stairs and stood RIGHT in front of where the bus would stop.  My initial thought was that maybe she was just going to check her phone or something, look at the bus arrival information.  I mean, of course she’s not going to disrespect the queue and just place herself at the front.  Could she?

She looked up and saw the line stretching now almost to the end of the platform and there were still people arriving and now walking past her to get to their place in the queue.  She WAS going to do this.  She WAS going to place herself in front of EVERYONE.  Which then makes me wonder what she could possibly be thinking?  Is she THAT SO IMPORTANT that she gets to dictate who sits where and when?  Is she THAT SO IMPORTANT that she feels she has the right to go to the head of the line?  REALLY?  And, again, this isn’t like our Disneyland confusion where people were milling about like it was a social gathering.  DOESN’T SHE SEE THE LINE?!

When the 413 finally arrived she did, indeed, just get right on the bus.  Now, for me, being number 4 or 5 or whatever – I knew there was a good chance I’d get a seat (which I did) – but if I was number 22 or 28 or 37 I would be PISSED.

Since I couldn’t comprehend that someone could be both so clueless and thoughtless I started making excuses for her:  “Maybe she doesn’t understand.”  “Maybe this is her first time taking the bus.”  “Maybe she’s a selfish idiot.”  Now, I hadn’t seen her before at the bus stop so think that it might be option number two but, most likely, it’s option number three.

On a whole, I try not to let things bother me.  Especially petty little things like these.  But, damn, you’ve got to respect the queue.

No comments:

Post a Comment